DCSIMG

House fire - Arnol

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were called to attend reports of a house fire in Arnol, Isle of Lewis at 9.20pm last night (20 March 2014).

Two appliances from Bernera and Shawbost were initially dispatched to the scene and when crews arrived they found the two storey detached property well alight.

A third appliance was then sent to the scene from Stornoway to assist. Firefighters in breathing apparatus used two main jets and two hosereel jets to extinguish the fire.

Thankfully no one was in the property at the time. Firefighters were able to save the roof.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging all residents to sign up for a free Home Fire Safety Visit and Join Scotland’s Fight Against Fire by ensuring they have a working smoke alarm.

Temporary Group Manager Ian MacLeod said: “The evidence is clear – working smoke alarms have saved lives and are absolutely essential items for every household.

“It is widely acknowledged that working smoke detectors raise the alarm very quickly, meaning there is less chance of fire causing serious injury to people and damage to property.

“More homes than ever are now protected by these life-saving devices and that has led to a noticeable reduction in the severity of the house fires we are called to tackle. By quickly alerting people to the presence of fire, working smoke alarms give residents the time they need to get out and call us out.

“We would also urge people that despite the improving weather that householders take all reasonable precautions in relation to open fires. Don’t leave them unattended for long periods or leave items too close to a fire. Simple steps like this can help keep people safer.”

Anyone can arrange a free home fire safety visit by calling the SFRS freephone number 0800 0731 999 or by filling in the online form on our website www.firescotland.gov.uk

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news