Man seriously injured in North Bragar house fire

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were called to attend a house fire in North Bragar, Isle of Lewis yesterday (Sunday 12 October 2014).

Control received the call for assistance at 5.51pm and two appliances were sent to the scene, one from Port of Ness and one from Stornoway.

Firefighters discovered that a gas leak in a cooker had caused an explosion and consequently started a fire in the kitchen. Crews used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.

One elderly male casualty received serious burns to his face, head and hands and was treated at the scene by paramedics and was then taken by ambulance to hospital for further treatment.

SFRS crews routinely conduct free home fire safety visits to residents of communities throughout Scotland.

To join Scotland’s fight against fire and arrange a free home fire safety visit, contact SFRS on the freephone number 0800 0731 999, text ‘check’ to 61611, or fill out the form at www.firescotland.gov.uk