Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) tackles house fire and man taken to hospital

0
Have your say

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service last night tackled a house fire that resulted in a man being taken to hospital.

A total of four firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the smoke-filled home and put out the flames in the kitchen using two water jets.

The male resident was found to be suffering from smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Crews had been alerted to the fire at Matheson Road in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis at 8.25pm on Wednesday, 6 April.

They were at the scene for almost an hour and ensured the area was made safe before returning to base.

More fires start in the kitchen than in any other room in the house. Here is some safety advice to help people stay safe:

· Don’t leave pans unattended and take them off the heat if you have to leave the room. Fire starts when your attention stops.

· When you have finished cooking, make sure the cooker or oven is turned off.

· Make sure you have working smoke alarms and consider fitting a heat alarm in your kitchen. Heat alarms are specially designed to quickly detect cooking fires while avoiding false alarms caused by cooking.

In the event of fire, a smoke or heat alarm will alert you and give you time to react safely and sensibly.

To register for a FREE Home Fire Safety Visit call the SFRS Freephone number: 0800 0731 999, or visit the website: at