Shell Street house demolished

editorial image
0
Have your say

The demolition of a long standing Stornoway house has been completed on Shell Street.

The house owned by Scottish Fuels has been demolished to make room for a new hard standing area within the fuel depot with a new boundary wall.

The building has been out of use of many years.

The house owned by Scottish Fuels has been demolished to make room for a new hard standing area within the fuel depot with a new boundary wall.

The building has been out of use of many years.

Research for http://pentlandroad.blogspot.com/2012/07/3-shell-street-stornoway.html website found:.

“A browse of the census of 1901 finds the Mair family in residence.

James Mair (52): fishcurer, born at Portknockie, Banff; his wife Maggie (45) and children Elsie (15), Joseph James (14), Maggie (13), Williamena A (11), Hugh Murray (10), Victoria (7) and Eliza J G (5).

Joseph James and Hugh Murray both lost their lives as a result of the First World War.

In 1891, the house was occupied by Elizabeth Murray (63), a seamstress.

In 1881, Shell Street was known as Imersligach, the name still used as the Gaelic streetname. Number 3 was occupied by a family of Mcleans: Kenneth (64, shoemaker), his wife Mary (55) and mother Chirsty (85) as well as son Murdo (13, scholar) and general servant Elizabeth Martin (25).

In 1871, the family of Macleans is in residence at 3 Imersligach. Kenneth (54, shoemaker) and Mary (45) and their offspring John (15), Murdoch (3) and Elizabeth (1), as well as Janet Munro, general servant (17).

In 1861, the family of Macleans is in residence at Imarsligoch Street (no number quoted). Kenneth (45, shoemaker), his wife Mary (35) and children Kenneth (11), Margaret (9) and John (5). An Alexander Maclean (21, cooper) is listed as a boarder.”

Pictures kindly supplied by Twitter user @ADB44