‘Smoking’ wheelchair leads to ward evacuation

0
Have your say

A ward at Western Isles Hospital was evacuated on Tuesday due to a ‘smoking’ wheelchair.

A spokesperson for NHS Western Isles explained that there had not been an actual fire but that staff had noticed fumes in the ward.

She said: “The fire brigade attended Western Isles Hospital on Tuesday morning after fumes were detected by staff.

“Although no fire had broken out, there was an issue with a patient’s own electric wheelchair, which the patient had brought to the hospital and which was emitting fumes. Staff were initially unable to identify where the fumes were coming from and therefore activated the alarm to summon the fire brigade.

“Twenty nine patients in the affected ward were evacuated from the ward for a short period to another area in the hospital.”