Emergency file - warning on telephone scam and RNLI action

The Tom Sanderson lifeboat was in action off the Butt of Lewis.
The Tom Sanderson lifeboat was in action off the Butt of Lewis.

Police are urging the public to be vigilant following a spate of telephone scams.

A number of people have been targeted by fraudsters in recent weeks following different scams used over the telephone.

In the majority of cases the criminals phone individuals claiming to be a representative from their bank and advise them that their bank account has been compromised. The victim is then encouraged to transfer their money into an account provided by the fraudster.

This type of fraud is commonly known as ‘vishing’ and while incidents are most commonly known to occur on the phone. This advice also applies to Internet security, where fraudsters will ask for an individual’s details, purporting to represent a computer company because they have a virus on their home computer.

Officers are urging people to be aware of calls and contact of this nature, and in particular to ensure their elderly or vulnerable family, friends and neighbours are also aware of this type of scam and to be on their guard.

Anyone concerned about suspicious activity over the phone or online can contact Police on 101 or their local Trading Standards.


The volunteer crew of Stornoway RNLI were out on shout for over six hours yesterday as the ‘Tom Sanderson’ lifeboat launched to the aid of a broken down fishing boat.

Stornoway’s Severn-class RNLI lifeboat launched at 1530 hours yesterday (Tuesday, September 20th) to the aid of an 18m fishing boat which had suffered engine failure and was situated around ten nautical miles north of the Butt of Lewis. Weather on arrival at the scene was challenging with winds of up to 30knots and a large confused swell.

The lifeboat boys quickly established a tow line between the two vessels and a course set for Stornoway harbour.

The casualty was safely alongside at around 2300 hours, and the volunteer crew back to their homes nearly seven hours after launching.