FAMILY members of murdered teenager Liam Aitchison today (Wednesday, December 7) voiced their upset at comments made on a national television show yesterday regarding their son’s death.
In a statement read by Family Liaison Officer Mandy Fraser, the family said: “We are very disappointed at the insensitive and offensive nature of the comments made on the Channel 5 programme The Wright Stuff.
“This is very upsetting and insulting for not just the family, but for the whole community of the Western Isles.”
The family also expressed thanks to all who have offered support and good wishes at this difficult time, and added: “We are being kept informed of the progress of the enquiry onto Liam’s murder and we have every confidence in the Police to do their job.
“If anyone has any information about what happened to Liam please come forward,” they urged.
At present over 60 people – including detectives, enquiry officers, specialist search teams, forensic staff and support staff – are involved in the murder enquiry into Liam’s death, following the discovery of his body at a derelict house in the Steinish area of Stornoway on Tuesday, November 29.
The 16 year old had been last seen on the evening of Tuesday, November 22.
Although speculation is rife throughout the islands regarding the case and the circumstances which lead to Liam’s demise, Area Commander Chief Inspector Gordon MacLeod highlighted that at present, the enquiry team are unable to release further details.
He said: “I fully understand that people are hungry for information about the incident and about the enquiry. There is much speculation and rumour about the circumstances and facts relating to this case, some very unhelpful.
“I cannot go into details of the enquiry and the nature of how he met his death for operational reasons at this stage. But I can assure you that we have the best available resources working night and day on this case and they are following a number of lines of enquiry. I am confident that we will bring those responsible to justice.”
The Chief Inspector added: “Liam was a 16 year old boy who had his whole life in front of him.
“The Highlands and Islands are one of the safest places in the world and murder is, thankfully, an extremely rare occurrence in the Western Isles.”
As the first murder to take place in the islands in over 40 years, Liam’s death has left residents shocked and saddened.
Convener of the Northern Joint Police Board, Point Councillor Norman M MacLeod, spoke of the strong community feeling provoked by this sad situation.
“This is a very tragic incident and I would like to express my sincere condolences to Liam’s family and friends. They have the support of the community and our agencies and I think I can speak for the Western Isles in saying that this tragic incident has touched us all very deeply,” he said.
“The local team are doing a tremendous job and are very well supported by Northern Constabulary officers and support staff and forensic teams, lending the best expertise to the successful resolution of this terrible incident.
“I wish to express my thanks for their hard work and dedication over this difficult period.”
Police have reiterated that they are still keen to speak to three people wearing hooded tops seen walking in the Steinish village area shortly after midnight on Tuesday, November 22, into the early hours of Wednesday, November 23.
They urge members of the public to contact the incident room with any information relating to this or the enquiry, no matter how insignificant it may seem, at Stornoway Police Station on 01851 702222 or anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.