Harris and South Lochs By-Election: Here’s what voters need to know for polling day
Malcolm Burr, Returning Officer, is reminding voters what they need to know to have their say on polling day:
• Polling stations will be open from 7am to 10pm.
• Details of the polling stations for Na h-Eileanan an Iar can be found on the Election Office Webpage.
• Electors may wish to consider avoiding peak times and attend polling stations at quiet periods such as mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
• Polling station staff will give you your ballot paper and answer any questions you have regarding the electoral process.
• If you applied for a Postal Vote, it must be received by the Returning Officer by 10pm on Thursday, October 8. If you have left it too late to post, you can drop it in at any Polling Station in the ward or at the Council Offices, Sandwick Road, Stornoway.
• Vote using numbers and rank the candidates in order of choice using 1, 2, and 3. Put the number 1 in the voting box next to your first choice, a 2 in the voting box next to your second choice, a 3 in the voting box next to your third choice. You can make as many or as few choices as you wish.
Additional Hygiene/Security Measures
The following additional hygiene measures will be in force at this By-Election:
• No more than one elector/or family group will be permitted in the polling station at any one time. A member of staff will be on duty at each polling station to assist with queue management and maintenance of social distancing.
• Electors are encouraged to wear face coverings and will be asked to maintain social distancing.
• Hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance to each polling station and on exit.
• Please leave the polling station as soon as you have cast your vote.
• Each polling station will have been deep cleaned prior to polling day.
• Individual ballot pencils will be issued to each elector, or electors may bring their own pencil/pen.
• Polling booths will be santitised after each elector has voted.
• Regular cleaning of door handles, light switches, corridor areas, etc will take place throughout the day.