SFRS advises extra care if using candles during power cuts caused by storms

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) is reminding members of the public to take extra care if using candles during any power cuts which occur due to winter storms.

The reminder comes prior to the arrival of Storm Abigail - which the Met Office has issued an amber warning for the west and north of Scotland, and a yellow warning for the rest of the country.

Power cuts may force householders to turn to other sources of light during the hours of darkness, including candles and SFRS is urging residents to take care when using them.

Director of Prevention and Protection at Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay said: “We know that people often use candles in the home, particularly during power cuts and we would like to remind people to be careful.

“If you are using of candles try not to expose yourself to any unnecessary risk of fire. Keep candles on hard flat surfaces and away from any flammable materials such as curtains and upholstery and never leave candles burning if you leave the room, house or go to bed.”

The service is also discouraging the use of gas cooking stoves within the homes. These pose a significant risk within the home and should not be used inside.

You can find out more information about how you can stay safe during a power cut in the SFRS safety leaflet at

A host of fire safety advice is available on the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service website

For updates on weather alerts and travel, the public are advised to listen to local radio and to visit the following websites for the most up to date information:

Met Office -

Scottish and Southern Power Distribution -

Traffic Scotland -