Treasure Island, Peter Pan, A Stranger Came Ashore, The Hill of the Red Fox, Across the Barricades, Whispers in the Graveyard, Harry Potter, Exodus, The Robe of Skulls, First Aid for Fairies, Mr Mumbles - Scotland’s writers are famous around the world for stories that captivate young people and create readers for life, and we’re looking for the next great Scottish writer for children!
Emergents, in association with Fraser Ross Associates, Scotland’s leading literary agency for children’s writers, is launching ‘Today’s Writers For Today’s Children’ - a search to find Scotland’s best unpublished fiction for readers aged between seven and 12 years old.
‘Today’s Writers For Today’s Children’ enables writers currently living in Scotland to submit their work, and Emergents, in association with Fraser Ross Associates, will select the most promising work to develop with the writer for submission to publishers.
The selected writers will be given guidance and feedback, and there will be a meeting with Fraser Ross Associates and Emergents to discuss the work, its commercial potential and how best it can be taken forward – and the most promising work submitted may also be offered representation by Fraser Ross Associates.
The project is free to enter, and multiple submission is accepted.
Emergents, with Fraser Ross Associates, are looking for:
- Strong commercial fiction for children aged between seven and 12 years
- Page-turning stories that you can’t put down, which stay in your head long after the book is closed
- ‘Stand-alone’, i.e. complete in themselves stories, not ‘first in a series’ - although the potential to develop into a series might be there
- Robust plotting with compelling characters
- A strong narrative voice
- Good writing that reflects a clear understanding of the intended readership
- Work in any fiction genre – contemporary, realistic, comedy, fantasy, historical, sci-fi, graphic novel etc.
- Work in any setting - any time, any place in the World or out of it
- Work with international sales potential
- Work that will make us sit up and listen!
Emergents’ Director, Peter Urpeth, said: “Scotland’s writers have become internationally renowned for their work for children. But writing successfully for children is one of the most demanding and technical of disciplines in the writing world.
“We see many submissions of work that are of excellent quality but need support to become first-class, publishable work and in ‘Today’s Writers For Today’s Children’ Emergents, with Fraser Ross Associates - legends in the world of writing for children - are providing Scotland’s writers with a golden opportunity to present and develop their work.”
He continued: “To assist writers in completing and submitting work to the project, Fraser Ross Associates have compiled a new video, available on Emergents’ website, with the most up-to-date advice and guidance for writers, and we have set a long deadline for this project to enable writers to really engage with their work before submission.
“There will also be a series of events and online advice sessions so watch this space for further announcements, and we really encourage any writer who wants to write for children to become involved in the project.”
Full details of the project, eligibility criteria and how to apply, can be found on Emergents’ website: