Chalmers at the double for Lewis shinty win

Leòdhas 4

Strathspey 1

Camanachd Leòdhais put some clear blue and black water between themselves and the sides at the bottom of Marine Harvest North Division Two with a 4-1 victory against Strathspey.

On a beautiful day in Shawbost, Lewis faced up against their Grantown rivals who travelled light with only eleven, but the industrious and athletic mainlanders still carried a great deal of threat and with their historic record against the islanders could be very confident of a result.

Lewis started on the attack however and Will Church gave his side the lead in only the second minute after fine work by speed merchants Connor Chalmers and Peter Gomez.

Ten minutes later Chalmers found some space on the right and made it in two goals in two weeks and 2-0 on the day with aplomb.

Lewis kept up the pressure and Paddy Sinclair had a shot from distance but it sailed over on the quarter of the hour.

On the half hour, Gomez beat his man on the left and scooped the ball goalwards.

There was only one outcome from this audacious chip and the man christened Goalmez by the Dubh is Gorm fans made it 3-0.

The islanders struggled to cope with their own heady heights and let the strong shape that had held them in good stead slip and the Grantown side made life tough as the first half drew to a close.

In the second half, any real threat of a Spey comeback was squashed instantly by great movement from the Lewis forward line which gave Chalmers a sight of goal. Not the cleanest of hits but it went in and it was four-nil.

The Grantown Purples’ dedication and some lack of organisation at the back by na Leòdhasaich gave Spey a couple sights of goal and the Islanders were lucky not to be punished 20 minutes into the half.

Iain Sinclair rang the changes, giving Donald Lamont, Sean MacLeod and Scott MacLeod various runs up front, Will Church was taken off but put back on. The top scorer was on the park to burst through on goal but be chopped down outside the box.

With the final strikes of the ball, Paul Duke went for an aerial ball with the stick not the body, missing it and JJ Grey scored an injury time consolation goal for the Purples who had coped better with the heat.

Although disappointed that his own side didn’t drive home fully their advantage after losing their shape, Dubh is Gorm gaffer Iain Sinclair said: “We scored some fine goals and Connor Chalmers has made a big impact in recent weeks up front. Despite only having eleven Strathspey were fit and committed in attitude so good luck to them and thanks for travelling over.”

“It was great to continue a good run of results, reach ten points in the league and we can look forward to the rest of the season now.

“We have a little gap to our next match v Lochaber so hopefully we can get over a few injuries that we have been carrying.”

Amongst the injuries was Ruaraidh MacMillan, who received a knock to the knee whilst representing the island at the Marine Harvest Youth Development Camp at Strathallan last week.

He was joined by fellow youth players Ronan Sinclair and Scott MacLeod as well as Uist

Camanachd’s Joseph MacInnes. All four island boys impressed the coaching team which included Ronald Ross and Scotland International Women’s head coach Stuart Reade.