Fire Service defeat Police team in charity match

editorial image

Fire Service on Saturday won the Emergency services Cup convincingly for the 4th time against a weakened Police side.

Despite the wet conditions a great attendance from the public turned up to support the match in aid of Crossroads (Lewis) they witnessed the dirtiest match between the two sides in the six year history.

Numerous defending errors and keeper mistakes led to a score that didn’t tell the full story. The Police from kick off had the majority of possession creating various chances in their opponent’s box, however against the run of play Steven Clinton in the 22nd Minute scored the opening goal for the fire service.

Various chances for both sides followed, but to no avail. In the 40th minute, a Fire Service freekick, taken by Colin Macritchie placed across the face of the Police goal was not cleared and fell to Cherry to slot home.

Early in the second half Kevin o’Hara made it three scoring direct from a corner, shortly after Gordie Morrison showed his skills braking through the Police defence and was taken down by Donald Sinclair in the goal for a penalty. Kevin Macleod stepped up and finished high into the net.

Dereck Maclean added his name to the score sheet when he cut in from the right and his left foot shot sneaked under the keeper at his near post, next up was mark doug Maciver with a cross come shot, much more a cross! From the left looked over the police keeper at the far post.

In the 66th Minute, tension between the two sides increased. Firstly Kevin O’Harra fouling Ross Masson, leading to a frustrated reaction from the youngster. One minute later as the ball landed at the feet of Kevin O’Hara, Masson jumped in the air with two feet bringing o’Harra down to his knees from a crunching foul. Individuals from both teams ran in, expecting to see the youngster receive a red card. George Macaskill refrained from showing the red and just cautioned the fortunate Masson.

In the 73rd minute there was a consolation for the Police, Martin Ross received the ball on right hand side and played the ball through for Cameron Ross to sprint past the Fire Service defence and strike a spectacular shot from 30 yards over the keepers head and into the net from the underside of the bar.

In the closing minutes another good run from Gordie Morrison saw him again brought down in the box, this time Colin Macritchie stepped up and placed his penalty calmly into the corner of the net to complete the scoring.

Atleast £1,500 was raised for Crossroads(Lewis)from money donated from various businesses and supporters attending the match.

More pictures in next week’s Stornoway Gazette.