First of the matches in Eilean an Fhraoich Cup

editorial image



At Barvas, the visitors did well to grasp a 2-0 lead by the interval. In the clash of ‘the Blues’ Chris Mackay fired the Bacachs ahead in 18 minutes and Chris Macleod doubled the lead via the penalty spot.

In 50 minutes Angie Campbell reduced the leeway, also from the spot after Connor Macdonald was fouled by Jason Macleod.

Innes Iain Morrison equalised on 58 minutes then two goals in a minute kept the spectators’ pulses racing. First Lewis Macdonald made it 3-2 for Back and in 75 minutes Dan Macphail, the West’s iconic player found the net to make it 3-3.

West manager Murchadh Macdonald stated that he felt that it was a pretty close game.

“We didn’t deserve to be two down at half-time but passed the ball better in the second half.

“The score leaves it all to play for in an interesting second leg. Back co-manager Donald “Dano” Macdonald echoed these sentiments about the return leg at Upper Coll this Monday.



There was a big turnout by the midges at Garrabost to witness James “Titch” Morrison firing high past Ally Lamont from a left wing cross in 14 minutes for Ness.

Both teams probed but both defences were resilient and only Sean “Bayble” Macleod’s miss from an Alex Macmillan cross for the home side could be considered easy.

Point brought on Ally “Wally” Maciver for Kevin Flower at the interval and it was he who equalised in 65 minutes when a blocked defensive clearance fell into his path and he spurted away to clinically find the bottom corner past Alastair Murray.

Point looked to have won it in 76 minutes when Darren “Cage” Wilson nipped in to lob the keeper with precision.

The Niseachs proved to be as annoying as the midges to the home fans and when James “Titch” Morrison got away down the left in 87 minutes, Colin Morrison was on hand to slam in the corr.

Point manager Angus Mackay stated. “A draw was a fair result. I had to make squad rotation changes due to injuries and a vital game on Wednesday (Lochs in the League).”



Rally Park was the venue for the first appearance of Harris in senior football this term and they were thwarted in 8 minutes when Jack Maclennan produced a great save from Mikey Paton.

Andrew Morrison fired over the Carloway bar thereafter.

Kenny “Dokus” Macdonald put Carloway ahead after 14 minutes and Carloway came close to increasing their lead either side of the interval after Dan Crossley hit the crossbar and D.I. Maclennan went wide from close in. Calum “Beag” Mackay scored his first senior goal in 55 minutes to make it 2-0 with a chip over the keeper that sneaked inside the far post.

Maclennan saved at Andrew Morrison’s feet but the visitors were well in control otherwise.

Eachainn Miller slotted a third past Chris Macvicar in 75 minutes but three goal a lead, although welcome, is not a guarantee to go through on aggregate.

Westside overturned a four goal deficit last year against Ness.