First league win in 14 years for Ness over Lochs

editorial image

Ness manager Chris Macdonald hailed his side after handing Lochs their first league defeat of 2015 - and taking their own first league win over Lochs since 2001.

A sensational second-half display by the Men In Black - Ness were styling their new look black home kit - saw them breach keeper James Macleod’s net four times to blow the title race wide open.

Prior to heading north to Fivepenny Lochs had registered league wins over reigning champs West Side and early season challengers Point.

But buoyed by an almost full match day squad for the first time this season Ness were sharper, hungrier, quicker and better on the night.

And Macdonald was thrilled at picking up a win against a side who have long been a team Ness have struggled against.

“Lochs are one of the teams we never manage to get anything from so to win, and win so well was very pleasing,” he beamed.

“Lochs were missing a few players while we were stronger than we have been and I felt we really dominated the second-half especially.

“We created the better chances and could have potentially scored a few more goals. Lochs weren’t at their best tonight and they will be back stronger I’m sure.

“Our own squad isn’t the biggest as was shown by the two subs I had to make tonight to bring on two 15-year-olds and we were missing three senior lads who have started every single match for us this season.”

Missing for Ness was Ali Morrison, Jambo Morrison and Innes Smith while the visitors were denied the services of key duo David Macmillan and Robert Mackenzie as well as Don ‘Lava’ Macleod and Daniel ‘Nipper’ Mackenzie.

The game took place in quite horrendous conditions with almost biblical rain tumbling down incessantly and twinned with a swirling wind which seemed to be coming from all directions. It was remarkable to look at the conditions battering the island on June 1.

Both of the first-half’s best two chances fell to Lochs’ Chris Mackay who forced Gordon Kennedy into a smart stop from close range before prodding the rebound wide and later neglecting to shoot when through one on one - insteading trying to cut across goal for a team mate when a shot was the better option.

In the second-half Ness crept into control of the game and a counter attacking break saw Andrew ‘Bubble’ Macleod spint clear onyl to be sent sprawling on the turf right on the edge of the box by keeper James Macleod.

The home crowd were baying for a red card with Macleod last man but the referee ruled the Ness man’s touvh was taking the ball away from goal and so a yellow card was flashed instead.

But any reprieve Lochs felt quickly washed away as Ness opened the scoring from the freekcik as Finn Taylor’s strike took a defelection off the wall and spun into the net.

They doubled their lead two minutes later when James ‘Titch’ Morrison turned in from inside the six-yard box after a low cross from Callum Vann.

Jack Dunlop headed in the third, moments after an earlier header had crashed off the angle of crossbar and post, before Jim O’Donnell blasted home a consolation goal for Lochs.

Ness weren’t done yet and Craig Harris capped an impressive night’s work for the hosts with a low shot which veered into the net via another huge defelction of a Lochs defender.

Lochs manager Macmillan commented: “Ness played well and they were quick young guys who were fitter and hungrier than us.

“I wouldn’t used any injuries as an excuse as we still had a good squad out there.

“We had opportunities in the first-half to score which we didn’t take and Ness were better than us in the second. Once Ness got their goal we couldn’t get out.”