Lochs 1 - Carloway 1

editorial image

An incessant wave of marauding maroon finally broke through a wall of blue to earn a deserved share of the points on Monday night.

Carloway, of course reigning champs, led for much of the match after youngster Jack Buchanan pounced on a mistake at the back for Lochs to smash home his first ever senior goal.

But Lochs roared back into the match, a meeting of two of the league’s heavyweights, and hogged most of the ball and possession in a dominant second-half but it took until three minutes from time to finally breach the ‘Way defence, when sub Jonny Smith turned in from close range.

“I think Carloway will be the happier side to finish with a point,” insisted Lochs player manager David Macmillan.

“Had we scored earlier then there was only one team going to win it.

“Carloway did have a few chances on the break and had Fraser Macleod scored to make it 2-0 then it would have been game over.

“The boys kept going for the full 90-minutes, and I think it shows that we have worked on our fitness over the winter.”

The meeting of two of the sides fancied to challenge for the top prizes produced two goals, plenty chances and talking points.

Donald ‘Nomie’ Macdonald and Fraser had the game’s first two sights of goal for their respective clubs in an exciting opening but the opener came after a lack of communication for the hosts.

Angie Campbell hooked the ball back towards his own goal where skipper Peter Mackenzie and keeper Cameron Houston each left the ball to one another.

Neither assumed responsibilty for it which allowed Buchanan to slip in, nick the ball and drill into the net.

The other talking point of the first-45 saw Carloway midfielder Billy Anderson fortunate to stay on the park after reacting to a challenge and having to be dragged away before then wiping two Lochs rivals out in the following minutes.

A yellow-card eventually came his way and he could have picked up a second early in the second-half after another late tackle on Peter Robbie Mackenzie.

The second-half saw Lochs hog most of the ball, but on the break Carloway continued to create the best chances – notably Fraser Macleod twice on the counter, but each time Houston stood tall to make the blocks.

His opposite number one David Beaton was called into action to claw away a dipping cross shot from Peter Robbie which was flying under the bar.

Lochs eventually got their leveller when Calum Tom Moody’s header was parried by Beaton into the path of Smith, who tucked away confidently.

Carloway manager Graeme Miller said: “It was a good result for us, but we are a wee bit disappointed as I felt we did enough to win it.

“Lochs came at us strong but we defended well and we created some chances which on another day we would have taken.

“Taking a point away from Lochs is always a decent point.”

To read the rest of the week’s reports, pick up a copy of this week’s Stornoway Gazette - on sale now.