Nicolson keep their nerve in shoot-out

After an impressive win in Dingwall in the first round, The Nicolson Institute S2 Boys earned a home tie in the quarter final of the U14 North of Scotland Cup against Millburn Academy of Inverness.

Friday, 24th March 2017, 8:16 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:46 am

Weather conditions made it very difficult for both teams. The Nicolson opted to play against the growing wind in the first half.

Playing against the wind The Nicolson fought bravely and defended well to concede few chances in the first half.

They had managed to work the ball up the pitch to create some half chances but failed to convert any. The score remained 0-0 at half time.

Sign up to our daily Stornoway Gazette Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The second half was end to end with both teams creating chances.

The Nicolson were aided by some excellent defending by John Angus Morrison and Ross MacIver with Todd Morrison looking very assured in goals.

With just five minutes left to play on ref Stuart Macleod’s watch the Nicolson fashioned their best opening of the match and with it the opportunity to win the tie.

Sam Duncan galloped through one on one and with time to steady his nerves and pick his spot but the Millburn keeper produced a good save. The rebound fell to the on-rushing Kyle MacIver but his shot went narrowly wide of the post with the keeper well beaten.

The game finished 0-0 and the two very evenly matched teams could not be separated on the day so it was straight to penalties.

First up for the Nicolson was captain Adam MacKinnon who calmly slotted into the bottom left corner sending the Millburn keeper the wrong way.

Home keeper Todd Morrison guessed right and made an excellent save for the visiting sides first penalty ensuring the Nicolson were in the driving seat.

Liam MacKay and Kenneth Mitchell went on to convert their penalties and Todd Morrison made another fine penalty save as the Nicolson scraped through to the semi-finals with a 3-2 win on penalties.

Well done to all involved as the Niccy lads march into the final four.