Thorniewood relegation confirmed after Largs loss

Thorniewood's Gary Duggan lets fly with a shot at goal against Largs
Thorniewood's Gary Duggan lets fly with a shot at goal against Largs

Thorniewood’s relegation from the Super League after four years was confirmed on Saturday when they were beaten 5-1 at Largs Thistle.

After encouraging performances in their previous games against Kilsyth and Pollok, the game was a disappointing anti-climax as the Viewpark side were never at the races against a Largs side also battling to stay in the First Division.

After an even opening period Largs took a 25th minute lead when McClure found captain KEVIN STRUTHERS who slotted home from eight yards.

STRUTHERS scored again after 31 minutes, his scooped effort from a corner appearing to catch ’keeper Matt Creechan flat footed as the ball dipped in under the bar.

And just two minutes later STRUTHERS completed his hat-trick, outjumping Alan Fleming to head home a Thomson

Any Thorniewood revival hopes were dashed in the 48th minute when Marks played in MUIR whose shot came off the gloves of Creechan before finding the bottom corner to make it 4-0.

Thorniewood pulled one back in the 74th minute when KIERAN McINTYRE netted from 16 yards with a well struck shot.

But it was all over by then and FRIZZELL netted a fifth Largs goal to send Thorniewood down with three games still to play.

The Viewpark side produced a stirring fightback against league leaders Pollok at Newlandsfield last Wednesday when they came storming back from 4-0 down only to finally lose 5-3.

DAVIE WINTERS put Pollok ahead in the 14th minute and added a second 11 minutes later.

KEVIN BRADLEY got a third and Winter then set up FINDLAY FRYE to lash home the fourth just before half-time.

CHRIS LENNON pulled one back from the penalty spot in the 54th minute and LENNON was on target again 11 minutes later, netting from a Gary Duggan pass.

Dramatically DALY McSORLEY then made it 4-3 with a well hit 20-yarder to set up a tense final 20 minutes.

But five minutes from time ALAN McKENZIE got onto a cutback to guide the ball into the far corner from six yards and kill the game.

The Viewpark side’s next game is on Monday when they travel to face Maryhill in the third round of the Euroscot Engineering Central League Cup.

The Glasgow side knocked out Bellshill on penalties in the second round last Wednesday.