Camanachd Leòdhais come up short

League leaders Aberdeen University defeated Camanachd Leòdhais 6-1 in Beauly on Saturday in a hard-fought affair.

Fresh off the cup defeat to Kingussie, Lewis took a largely unchanged side to Braeview Park with Kenny ‘Duffy’ Murray returning to captain the side. Daniel Gallagher and last week’s top performer Connor Chalmers both missed out due to work commitments.

The match began with a real intensity as both teams looked to take a stranglehold on the game. Much like the previous game between the two earlier in the month, Aberdeen adopted a shoot on sight policy and were taking aim at the Lewis goal whenever possible. The first real chance however fell to Lewis when Al Reed shied the ball towards the forward line. Some good link up play between Peter Gomez and Charity dragged the Aberdeen defence out of position. The ball was played to Ally Lamont who unleashed a first time shot on goal that was saved spectacularly by the Aberdeen keeper.

Sustained pressure followed from Aberdeen and it was Robbie MacDonald that fired a shot past Graham Cay to give them the lead. Lewis had shots from both Gomez and Charity as they searched for an equaliser but shortly before half time, some miscommunication left Ewen Fraser alone at the back post and he doubled Aberdeen’s lead.

Scott MacLeod replaced Paddy Sinclair at the interval and whilst Lewis continued to compete well, Aberdeen’s shoot on sight policy paid off as Stuart Cameron and Alex Duncan scored to extend the lead to four.

Lewis did however manage to reduce the deficit shortly thereafter. A long free hit from Murray caused chaos in the Aberdeen defence that allowed for the substitute MacLeod to move the ball onto his forehand before sending a low shot into the corner of the goal. It was the first league goal of the youngster’s career and Lewis will no doubt be hoping it’s the first of many.

Lewis could well have made it 4-2 and really put the cat among the pigeons when they were awarded a penalty. Stuart ‘Tyson’ Campbell struck the penalty sweetly but he turned his caman just a fraction too much and the ball flew the wrong side of the post. Aberdeen left Lewis to rue the missed chance as further goals from Alex Duncan and Stuart Cameron sealed the 6-1 win.

Whilst the men can be satisfied with their performance, the ladies enjoyed a fantastic weekend that saw a high level of performance coupled with some impressive results as they competed in the latest round of the development league.

The ladies recorded six wins out of seven and were the tournament winners in Kiltarlity. The results also saw them leap from fifth to second in the overall league table despite playing ten games less than their nearest rivals. Megan MacIver, Demelza Anderson and Alicia MacSween all found themselves on the score sheet at one time or another but it was Poppy Taylor that topped the scoring charts, bagging four goals on the day.

Lewis will be back at Shawbost on Saturday as they take on Lochaber. Throw up is expected to be at 2:30pm. Live updates from the game can be found on Twitter @lewiscamanachd