Lewis lose out to Strathglass comeback at Shawbost

The clash of the ash but Lewis came off second best at the final whistle.
The clash of the ash but Lewis came off second best at the final whistle.

Camanachd Leodhais 2 - 8 Camanachd Straghlais

Lewis played their return fixture against Strathglass at Sgoil Shiabost in North Division Three full of hope for a positive result but were to be disappointed. With the majority of teams in this league now only four or five games away from the end of the season a win would have lifted Lewis of bottom spot and ahead of Strathglass.

Lewis had travelled to Cannich earlier in the season and had been unlucky to only come away with a 2-2 draw.

The match got off to a bright start for the Leodhasaich with experienced player Stuart “Tyson” Campbell chipping in a fine lob past the Strathglass goalie to give the Leodhasaich a 1-0 lead. All the signs looked hopeful with Lewis nearly securing a second but for a good hand save by the Strathglass goalie Jonathan Jenkins.

However Strathglass kept their nerve and began to play some flowing shinty. Experienced veteran Robert Geddes was at the heart of some good moves up front and this led to him scoring the equaliser with a low shot into the corner of the Lewis goal after 20 mins. The game was evenly matched with Geddes being well supplied from the Strathglass centres. As a result Strathglass added four goals in a seven minute flurry before half-time to leave Lewis reeling. Josh Fraser,Andrew Fraser,Lewis Douglas and Robert Geddes again were the scorers.

Player manager Paul Duke encouraged the Leodhasaich to fight back and they did so with an improved display in the second half.

Lewis captain Scott Murray came close with a long range shot and Lewis were forcing Strathglass back winning a series of corners. However the ever dangerous Geddes got round behind the Lewis defence to score from close in against the run of play. 6-1.Stuart “Tyson” Campbell came close to pulling one back but Josh Fraser grabbed his second on 63mins as did Lewis Douglas on 80mins.Lewis who have to be commended for their fair play this year received only their second booking of the season with Innes Lamont being booked for dangerous play. It has to be said that Innes has put in a sterling effort at the back since coming into the team. It was more a case of over enthusiasm to win the ball. Referee Jock Matheson who controlled the game well and kept play flowing spoke to the players concerned and that was the end of the matter.

The indomitable Lewis spirit showed itself near the final whistle with wing forward Ali MacKenzie grabbing a late consolation goal for Lewis. Final score 8-2.

It is good to see an increasing number of spectators watching the game and there is plenty of shinty to be seen on the island this summer.

The next North Division Three fixture is against fourth placed Caberfeidh at Shawbost on the 23rd. July , throw-up 2.30pm.