Lewis Camanachd vs Lochaber TODAY

editorial image

Camanachd Leòdhais are hoping for a tighter defensive unit this weekend when Lochaber visit Shawbost today (Saturday, August 29).

The home tie comes hot on the heels of a cathartic defensive collapse which saw Camanachd Leòdhais throw away a commanding position to lose by the odd goal in nine last weekend.

The Dubh is Gorm were keen to do the double over their Marine Harvest North Division Two rivals having defeated them 3-1 away from home in March.

Lewis started strongly, with new signing Hamish Myers showing some classy tackling at buckshee back.

Lewis had several attacks but it was the Loch Ness-side club who opened the scoring. Ewen Fraser skinning Daniel Gaga Gallagher and finishing with aplomb beyond Euan Gilmour.

This goal against the run of play sparked the islanders into life. Duncan MacIntyre used his physicality to get the ball over the line past Craig Pirrie and it was level. 1-1.

Better was to come swiftly after it when Peter Gomez kept up his goal scoring streak with an immaculate chip after making a fantastic late run.

Then Donald Lamont bagged the third from close range after great work from all four forwards.

The islanders were cruising and Boleskine had very little answer other than to end up being talked to by referee John Matheson for arguing with each other.

With moments to go before halftime, the mainlanders were giftwrapped their salvation, Myers slipping, Michael Macleod swiping at his clearance and Gallagher, Kenny Murray and Euan Gilmour all having the chance to knock the ball out of harms way.

It was the aptly named Neil Hope who managed to give Boleskine a lifeline to make the deficit 3-2.

Through a combination of Boleskine momentum and Lewis calamity, Hope equalised early in the second half, another cheap goal where several individuals could have saved.

Lewis responded instantly with a Paul Duke long range shot which beat Pirrie all ends up.

However, Lewis fell asleep again at the wheel, and Fraser was able to score his second and hat-trick goals due to cheap errors at the back.

Having led 3-1 moments before halftime, after ten minutes of the second half, four goals had been scored and they now trailed 5-4.

The game became a very towsy affair and there were a couple of contentious challenges which resulted in some confrontational scenes, and a couple of players could be considered lucky not to have seen red.

Lewis piled on the pressure but with a couple of changes to the forward line, little could be done to capitalise.

The game petered out and Lewis were left cursing their inability to hold on to their precious lead.

It was a blow to manager Iain Sinclair as his team face up to a challenging Lochaber side.

Positives were the addition of Hamish Myers and the great forward play and hopefully with a tightening at the back,

Lewis can aim for a result against the Spean Bridge side.