Rugby teens cruise to win over Caithness

Stornoway Rugby Club under 15s thrashed Caithness on their visit to the island this week. SGD24438.
Stornoway Rugby Club under 15s thrashed Caithness on their visit to the island this week. SGD24438.

Stornoway U15’s 45

Caithness U15’s 15

Stornoway RFC’s young pups got their first taste of victory last Saturday at a wet and windy Bayhead pitch.

They have shown how keen they are to work at their game over the first five weeks of the season and they were rewarded for their efforts as they played some wonderful rugby at times in the tricky conditions.

Caithness kicked off and right away the home side took the game to their opponents. Stephen Drummond gathered and ran hard at the Caithness forwards. From good ruck ball skipper David ‘3G’ Campbell picked up and drove further up field before being brought to deck. Good support gave Stornoway quick ball and Callum Nicolson and Dean Drummond created room for Iain Murdo Macleod to round a scrambling defence to score.

Stephen Drummond was next to score, finishing off a move he started himself. Fast becoming a menace to the opposition at the breakdowns he ran aggressively at the Caithness line after picking up a loose ball, brushing aside would be tacklers.

Johnny Macdonald and Fraser Martin supported well and after Ewen Cameron was stopped short Stephen picked and drove over from the resultant ruck.

David ‘3G’ and Iain Murdo were causing all sorts of problems for the Caithness defence, running hard off a plentiful supply of first phase possession, both from a solid scrum and Ashley Collier’s lineout takes. 3G was next on the score sheet with 2 long range tries either side of a superb individual effort from second row Johnny Macdonald, which included a neat side step on route to the line. Then another powerful run by Iain Murdo created a simple run in for Callum Nicolson.

Just before half time a dogged Caithness side began a bit of a comeback with their robust No.8 to the fore. Michael Clark had an exciting introduction to the game when the No.8 attacked blind from a scrum and smashed through young Michael to set up their first attack of meaning in the half. To his credit Michael picked himself up and tracked back to help bring the attack to a halt.

Shortly after the No.8 again picked up from the back of a scrum and this time broke through a couple of loose tackles to score an unconverted try. This stirred the away side and as Stornoway shuffled their team to give all squad members game time they had a 20 minute spell when they controlled possession and territory.

During this spell the defence of the home side was severely tested with big Fraser Martin, with some hard-hitting tackles, and tenacious scrum half Callum Nicolson stood out as they protected their line. Caithness did add 2 well deserved tries to their tally, one an opportunist try by their right winger and the other a long range effort from their wing forward.

With 10 minutes left Stornoway raised their game, playing some their best rugby of the match. They managed to create the go-forward ball missing since the first half, required to produce quick ball to attack from. Calum Campbell, 3G and Dean all went close to breaking through. Slick passing by the backs sent Johnny Henderson clear for the line, but as Johnny was about to touch down a despairing last ditch tackle by the Caithness full back knocked the ball from his grasp.

As time ran out a further sustained period of possession saw Stornoway’s backs and forwards link well to stretch the Caithness defence, which led to what was arguably the best try of the match. From a scrum inside the Caithness 22 Dean took the ball flat to draw the defensive line before switching with Iain Murdo. Iain Murdo broke through and unselfishly fed Dean on the loop who scored between the posts. Iain Murdo converted for a five out of seven success rate

Next scheduled match is an away fixture against Gordonstoun on Saturday, October 6.