Smith scores first goal at Creagan Dunh in a decade

editorial image

Lochs 3

Point 1

Lochs returned home this week after a decade away from their beloved Creagan Dubh.

Their traditional home pitch hosted their league clash with Point on Monday night after being out of use since 2003.

In that time Lochs have primarily used the school pitch at Sgoil nan Loch as their home base but their return to the Creagan Dubh was warmly received by the players and supporters alike with more than 100 fans making their way to the touchline on Monday night.

And they were treated to a five-star performance from a Lochs side who never looked in any danger of having an unhappy return home.

Fans of an older vintage were delighted with the reopening of the pitch which is now angled differently to the park in the past.

Back to the game and despite dominating a Point side who have been on a great run of late Lochs couldn’t break the Reds down in the first-half.

The live-wire Angie Campbell, who produced another excellent performance up top, went close with a glancing header.

Then Jim O’Donnell had a header clawed away by Alex Wright while the best chance of all fell to Callum Masson who lashed over the bar from eight-yards after arriving unmarked onto an O’Donnell cross.

Point created the first chance of the second-half with Allan Macmillan heading goalwards only for Cammy Houston to dive across to block.

The hosts quickly regained control of the game and Campbell had the frame of the goal shuddering with a powerful header which cannoned off the inside of the post before being hooked clear by Jason Guilmartin.

It was a brief reprieve for the out-of-sorts Reds who then fell behind alebit in controversial circumstances for them as Jonny Smith, another top performer on the night, pounced on the ball in a challenge with Wright who insisted he had both gloves pinned on the ball.

Smith managed to hook the ball into the net to register the first goal at the Creagan Dubh in a decade.

Campbell then made it 2-0 with his 15th goal of a very productive campaign, when he sent a swerving, dipping lob over Wright and inside the far post from the edge of the box.

It looked like game over but Point set up a grand stand finish by winning and converting a penalty with Andrew Macmillan blasting home just two minutes from time.

Lochs slapped the handcuffs on the points in time added on when Smith galloped clear and hooked the ball over the onrushing Wright.